Healthy lemon squares
Easy and healthy lemon squares for the time crunched Mama like myself. This is seriously a family favourite and packs effortlessly for road trips and Beach days.
This recipe was given to be by a PRO fitness athlete at the gym. There is something about LEMONS that reminds me of Italy and that is a great memory. We took the entire family there a few years ago and we were a happy group of 9 roaming the streets of Florence, Pisa and Rome. The culture, food, architecture and people is something else.
Lets jump straight into this RECIPE:
-One medium size bowl
-An 8 by 8pan or Pyrex Dish
-30 Mins of Time -)
-Your Favourite Spatula (Mine is so old but I cant seem to let it go)
1/2 cup Butter or Coconut oil (from the fridge)
1/2 cup Brown sugar or sugar substitute (I like Xylitol)
1 cup of Gluten free flour or coconut flour
1 pinch of Salt
1/2 cup brown sugar or xylitol
1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
Juice and Zest of 1 large LEMON
1 pinch of SALT
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essense
Preheat the oven to 350DG
Lightly Grease the pan to prepare it
Its time to get working -)
- In a medium bowl beat in the butter, sugar and flour until a dough forms.
- Press into the prepared pan and back for 18 to 20 min
Remove from the oven when done and leave the oven ON for part 2
LEMON FILLING TIME
- Beat together the eggs, gradually add sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon juice and zest
- Pour over the warm base and cook for 20 min
- Take it out the oven when down and place in the fridge when SAFE for cooling. Typically 1 hour works well.
- Pour over the powdered sugar and cut the squares easily.
I serve mine with vanilla yogurt instead of custard
I hope you love this LEMON SQUARE RECIPE as much as we do.
Like this post? Save it to make later and share it with others!